Lesson 8. Live Discussion Questions
These questions are intended to be used to lead a live session at your organization. Clients should come having read the material prepared to answer the questions below. You may also want to use some of the online discussion questions as well as the assignment discussion questions in your live discussion.
Chapter 16. Respecting the Client
- Feeling respected is very different for each individual. What makes you feel respected is not what makes me feel respected. Perhaps you have been in a class in this course already that touched on this topic but this week we talk about this in depth. What is the best thing I could do that would register to you as respect for yourself? I just want to show the variety in the room to prove my point.
- What are some ways you have observed people who are trying to be “nice” to someone in poverty or homeless, or ex-cons that although they are well-meaning, is really is not respectful?
- What ways do you believe the organization where you now work shows respect to the client who comes in the door?
- What prevents us from regularly respecting our clients?
- What does the Bible say about respecting the clients?
Chapter 24. Compliance versus Surrender
This topic represents a big breakthrough in recovery counseling. Please research and answer these questions in preparation for our discussion.
- Define “compliance”. What does it look like?
- Define “surrender”.
- What is the main difference in these two?
- How does one move from one to the other?
- How can we help people in our programs achieve long-term recovery?
Lesson 8. Online Discussions
If you are using this material to facilitate live group discussions, then these questions can be used as a guide.
If you would like to receive credit for this course, then submit a 400-word response for each discussion group of questions (i.e. Lesson 1. Discussion 1). You do not need to submit 400 words for each question, but for each group of questions. If responding to a live meeting discussion, then share written work as you would in a live meeting.
Lesson 8. Forum 1: Showing Respect for Clients
Share your thoughts on Chapter 16 on the importance of showing respect for clients and apply to your current personal experiences.
Lesson 8. Assignments
Lesson 8. Assignment 1. Compliance vs. Surrender in Recovery
Write a 1-2 page paper contrasting compliance and surrender in a person’s recovery.
Week 8: Assignment 2: Mentor/Supervisor Evaluation
Part 1. Mentor/Supervisor Evaluation
Please upload a copy of your mentor/supervisor evaluation. They should use this template: https://bit.ly/3k9s15h
You receive full credit for this assignment if you submit an evaluation, but the content in the evaluation will not affect your grade.
Part 2. Student Reflection on Mentor/Supervisor Evaluation
Write a 1-2 page paper reflecting on the evaluation. What did you learn? Are there specific suggestions from the evaluation that you want to work on? Are there other things you learned from this course that you want to work on?