This free, self-paced professional development course covers traditional Christian leadership development theory as well as providing a survey of theories on leadership. The first part of the course focuses on life reflection within a Christian context in order to develop a philosophy of ministry. The last part of this course focuses on how to lead effectively in organizations serving in diverse and under-resourced communities and to develop strategies to improve the representation of women and people of color in leadership.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
- Reflect on your leadership journey according to traditional Christian leadership development theory.
- Create a philosophy of ministry and leadership integrating personal experience with key concepts from this course.
- Construct a leadership toolkit for new supervisors in an organization by applying leadership theories.
- Develop a plan for expanding your own cross-cultural leadership ability.
- Use systems thinking to develop a plan that includes personal, physical, cultural and organizational aspects of their own leadership development.
- Design a plan for an organization to increase the representation of women and people of color in leadership.
Steps to Receive University Credit
Students who wish to take these course for free and later receive credit with City Vision University can take the following steps:
- Choose an option for credit:
a. 8-Week Course Online with Faculty & Student Cohort (one start date per year in schedule). You can use whatever progress you’ve made in the free course to help jump-start you in our regular online course. Advantage: students have a higher completion rate with the support of faculty and benefit from interaction with other students in discussions and this option can be used with federal aid for undergraduate courses.
b. Independent Study (start dates any time). You can submit your completed student assignment workbook to have your assignments graded for credit. This workbook is provided in the course. Advantage: can start at any time and work at your one pace. Pay $100 only for your first course through the Institute, and only if you have not already been admitted as a City Vision University student. This option cannot be used with federal aid.
- Apply for free to City Vision University (takes less than 5 minutes).
Self-Paced or Group Facilitated
This course is designed so that students can go through it individually on their own, or go through it as a group facilitated by any group leader. The Guide for Group Leaders & Live Discussions provides suggestions for discussion topics for those going through as a group. The group leader may also choose to assign some of the items in the Student Assignment Workbook as "homework" to do between meetings.
Students that wish to advance their learning may find it helpful to go through the assignments in the above workbook.