Lesson 10. Live Discussion Questions
These questions are intended to be used to lead a live session at your organization. Clients should come having read the material prepared to answer the questions below. You may also want to use some of the online discussion questions as well as the assignment discussion questions in your live discussion.
Chapter 13. Applying Grace with Truth and Justice with Mercy
Notice the title of the chapter. We will be talking about the balance of these four things in the way we present the gospel and help those who come through our doors.
- Come with a working definition of Grace, Mercy, Truth, and Justice.
- How does Grace and Mercy differ?
- How do you have mercy and still have justice?
- Give examples of how you have seen staff show grace.
- Give examples of how you have seen staff show mercy.
- Give examples of how you have seen staff share truth in a merciful way.
Chapter 28. Biblical Hospitality
- Discuss what you learned from this chapter and how it might apply in your context.
Lesson 10. Online Discussions
If you are using this material to facilitate live group discussions, then these questions can be used as a guide.
If you would like to receive credit for this course, then submit a 400-word response for each discussion group of questions (i.e. Lesson 1. Discussion 1). You do not need to submit 400 words for each question, but for each group of questions. If responding to a live meeting discussion, then share written work as you would in a live meeting.
Lesson 10. Forum 1: Christian Hospitality
Write a forum post on how you see hospitality worked out in service ministry, especially identifying how you can utilize this where you are interning. Include the challenges and the rewards.
Lesson 10. Forum 2: Christian Hospitality
You need to identify someone who will be serving as your mentor/supervisor for this course. This should be someone in your work setting, and cannot be a peer or subordinate. If you cannot find someone in your work setting, then you should identify a spiritual mentor (not a peer or family member). You can use the following template to email them:
“I am taking a course with City Vision University where I am required to have a mentor or supervisor to support me in this course. Would you consider helping me out by doing this? You can read the expectations here: https://bit.ly/2GHq6az“
Once you are done, identify the name of your Mentor/Supervisor and explain the nature of their work relationship to you (direct supervisor, etc.).
Lesson 10. Assignments
Lesson 10. Assignment 1. Paradox of Grace and Justice
After reading the Textbook assignments and listening to the videos, write a two-page paper (minimum of 400-600 words) describing the challenge of finding the balance between Grace, Mercy, Justice, and Truth in Ministry, including a succinct definition of each and how they affect your ministry.
Lesson 10. Assignment 2. Journal Entry
In this course you are required to keep a journal. In your journal, you should cover the following things:
- Reflect on how the concepts from this week and the rest of this course have applied in your personal and professional life.
- What are the primary areas where you believe God wants you to grow this next week, and what specific steps will you take toward that growth?
- Reflect on your past week in general. Variations of your entry may include describing how you have been blessed in the past week with either opportunities to see God’s grace, suggestions from a supervisor or fellow staff person, things that happened that you wish you could have a redo, or insights you gained for future work.
- You are required to have biweekly meetings with a mentor. For weeks 2, 4, 6 and 8 of this course write down the meeting date, and what you learned from your mentoring session.
Although there is no word count requirement for this assignment, a minimum of 250 words is encouraged (one double-spaced page).