This course will help students to understand the purpose of work and a Christian understanding of vocation. Students will reflect on their life story to gain a better understanding of their unique identity and purpose in their vocation. Students will also conduct research on various career paths and set up meetings with mentors and others to provide input into their vocational discernment process. They will also refine their understanding of calling or vocation might be and how it fits into God’s purposes and a Christian worldview. They will then create a synthesis of the above understandings into a reflective life plan.
After completing this course, you will be able to:
1. Explain how your life story, personality and personal identity inform your vocation and calling.
2. Conduct market research to develop three different potential career paths.
3. Set up meetings with mentors and networking contacts to provide input into your career and life plan.
4. Identify the ways that Christians’ worldviews toward work can be distorted and to develop a discipleship and spiritual formation plan to restore them.
5. Develop a career strategy using business tools like personal SWOT analysis and personal branding.
6. Create a synthesis combining who you are with what you believe into a personal career and life plan.
Steps to Receive University Credit
Students who wish to take these course for free and later receive credit with City Vision University can take the following steps:
- Choose an option for credit:
a. 8-Week Course Online with Faculty & Student Cohort (one start date per year in schedule). You can use whatever progress you’ve made in the free course to help jump-start you in our regular online course. Advantage: students have a higher completion rate with the support of faculty and benefit from interaction with other students in discussions and this option can be used with federal aid for undergraduate courses.
b. Independent Study (start dates any time). You can submit your completed student assignment workbook to have your assignments graded for credit. This workbook is provided in the course. Advantage: can start at any time and work at your one pace. Pay $100 only for your first course through the Institute, and only if you have not already been admitted as a City Vision University student. This option cannot be used with federal aid.
- Apply for free to City Vision University (takes less than 5 minutes).
- Course PowerPoint Slides
- Course Video Playlist in YouTube (Core Presentations)
- Full Course Video Playlist in YouTube
- Student Assignment Workbook
- Final Project Template
Self-Paced or Group Facilitated
This course is designed so that students can go through it individually on their own, or go through it as a group facilitated by any group leader. The Guide for Group Leaders & Live Discussions provides suggestions for discussion topics for those going through as a group. The group leader may also choose to assign some of the items in the Student Assignment Workbook as "homework" to do between meetings.
Students that wish to advance their learning may find it helpful to go through the assignments in the above workbook.